So. Home! No groceries! The lunch I'd planned on eating at a twee juice cafe was obviously impossible. What could I make that would feed both of us? Soup, of course. Comforting, filling, healthful soup. Without carrots or celery, because they were still at the grocery store, unbought.
But I had beans. And garlic. And tomatoes. And vegetable broth.
I pureed half the beans with my food processor to give the soup a dairy-free creaminess. Not that we're dairy-free! I just didn't see the point in "wasting" the remaining milk for The Husband's tea. (Again, no groceries). I also used vegetable broth in this soup, because it was going to be a vegetable soup so why meat it up? I know some people don't like to use vegetable broth -- claiming it tastes "sweeter" than chicken -- but I find College Inn Reduced Sodium Garden Vegetable Broth tastes quite vegetal and is definitely not "sweet."
Anyway, this turned out to be quite a yummy dairy-free vegan bean soup. Well-seasoned, creamy, and tomato-y with just a little kick from the pepper. As with many soups, it's even better the next day so try not to eat it all at once!
Creamy Vegan White Bean & Tomato SoupYield: 4
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz chopped sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 oz cans great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth [College Inn]
- 14.5 oz can no-salted-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes [Muir Glen]
- 1 Tbsp salt-free Italian seasoning blend [Penzeys Tuscan Sunset]
- ½ oz dried parsley
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Salt, to taste
Heat olive oil over medium in a large French/Dutch oven. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring regularly, until onion is translucent and everything is very fragrant.
- Meanwhile, combine one can of beans with one cup of broth in a blender or food processor and puree.
- Add puree, remaining beans and broth, tomatoes, seasoning blend, parsley, and pepper to pot.
- Bring pot to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, about for ten minutes. Season with salt to taste, if desired.