Erk. So I threw a sorta-barbecue sauce together really fast, dumped it over the chicken, and skedaddled off to work. When I came home that evening, the scent that hit me as I opened the front door just made my mouth water! And what did it taste like? A bit like an Asian(ish) barbecue? A little spicy, a little sweet, and so savory. I'd definitely do it again!
Spicy Slow Cooker Barbecue ChickenYield: 2-4 servings, depending on hunger
- 4 frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 6 cloves garlic, bashed
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup low-sodium ketchup
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp ground ginger root
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Place frozen thighs at the bottom of the slow cooker insert. Top with onion and garlic.
- Whisk all remaining ingredients together and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on Low 8-9 hours.
Yes, I used frozen chicken in this recipe. I know some people are really skittish about doing that, and I used to be, but I've found my slow cooker cooks hot enough on Low that we're unlikely to get food poisoning. Also, starting with frozen meat means that the long cook time (after 8 hours of cooking, mine usually sits at Warm for 2 hours) will not ruin the chicken. Using thighs instead of breasts helps, too, as thighs are simply more forgiving.